BILLION IN WHIP FEDERAL DISASTER RELIEF FUNDING AVAILABLE
The sign-up period for the 2017 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (WHIP) will run through November 16. Agricultural producers affected by hurricanes and wildfires in 2017 can apply for assistance to help recover their farm operations. The following are important to note as producers start this process.
- Any producer – insured AND uninsured – is eligible to apply if they incurred losses as a result of a 2017 hurricane. However, whether or not a producer possessed insurance will factor into the payment received from 2017 WHIP.
- A producer who receives a WHIP payment must enroll in federal crop insurance for the next two crop years to meet statutory requirements.
- Each producer is eligible for up to $125,000. If at least 75% of a producer’s average adjusted gross income (AGI) is attributable to farming, then the payment limit expands to $900,000.
- It is imperative that producers call their local FSA office to schedule an appointment prior to arrival. FSA offices will be inundated with producers who are eager to begin the application process. An appointment will ensure efficient use of your time and FSA time.
- It is also important to note that if you do not have an established farm record with FSA, you will need to go through this process in addition to the WHIP application. A producer will need to bring proof of identity, documentation that ties the producer to the production land (i.e. recorded deed, survey plat, lease agreement) and any corporation or estate documents, if applicable. Once sign up begins, production records will also be required.
More information on the program can be found